E-pistolary

This site is a continuation of my online novel-in-email, xo bri xoxo me xoxoxo love you christy. Call it a soap opera in email.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Re: Finally she is asleep

From: ledoux67@aol.com
To: christyswims@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:16:03 EDT
Subject: Re: Finally she is asleep


Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. I mean, really: awwwwwwwwwwwww. Those little moments like that make it all worthwhile, don't they... especially because the REST of the time she's being such a MISERABLE EVIL LITTLE BITCH!!!!! lmaaao

Well, like the Billy Joel song says, this is the time... you know that from having gone through it with daughter number one, just like I knew it from having gone through it with Tony.

How does Marty handle it? When he was at home with her last spring, was she like that?

The way BRIAN wanted to handle it, I'm sure I told you this, is that he said one time "I'll just follow your lead" and I said YOU WILL NOT FOLLOW MY LEAD!!!! YOU WILL GO TO THE LIBRARY AND READ THIS, AND THIS, AND THIS, AND FOLLOW YOUR OWN LEAD, DAD. And then a couple days later he's stumbling into the bedroom scratching himself: "So, when she throws fits like that, it's basically because her brain's circuits are kind of on overload?" That's right, Dr. Spock, lmaaao.

Anyway he's almost better at it than I am. I just follow his lead, lmaaao.

No seriously... he's the kind of person, as well you know, who once he understands how something works, he can deal with it. Not that Becca is a "something" but you know what I mean. Once he understood developmentally what the fits were all about --SHE DOESN'T HATE YOU, SWEETIE!!!-- he handled them better than I did, like I said. Really. He's a gentle soul, very understanding and patient, so once he learned the tricks and what was behind how she was acting, he was fine.

Anyway....

Mainly I wanted to write and say THANK YOU for calling me and talking through that job with me. I think, looking over what I'd written, thinking about what I'd told you and Mom and Brian and Liz about it, that you're right: I wasn't going to take it. But I wanted to look at it seriously. I think there were things about it I would've liked (I still always ALMOST automatically type "would of") but in comparison to where I am, I would have been unhappy, it would have been a step down, or maybe a step in the wrong direction. In spite of the endless stream of college apps and affiliated bullshit in this job, and other bullshit, still, the thing I love about the job is being around kids, feeling like I'm an important part of a community, being around a place and people that are vital

BRB

Sorry to BRB you Christy, but first the phone rang, and lately any time the phone rings this early, I immediately think IT'S TONY! RITA'S HAVING THE BABY! I'M A GRANDMA! But it was just Mom, asking if we wanted to meet for yunch.

And then from the music room, I heard this song that I recognized (which happens so seldom with Brian, lmaao) and I wanted to know what it was. And I was told that it's Beethoven's Sonata for Violin and Piano #2, second movement. Very very pretty, but with stately parts... it sounds like the music they would play when you get coronated. Anyway, that happens all the time when Brian is playing one of his classical things: I'll hear a song that I recognize and then I'll have to rush in there and say "WHAT'S THAT SONG CALLED??" And then he tells me, shows me the cover, and he always says the same thing: "Did you know that many of the world's best loved popular melodies are derived from the classics?" lmaaao

And then I had to give him a nice big warm huggy hug and then go heat up my coffee. So now I'm back.

WHere was I?

Anyway, the things I like about the high school FAR FAR outweigh the things I don't like about it. Thinking about it, I'd like there to be more shrink counseling, but when I look at it in a certain way, even the college app stuff opens up opportunities for that sort of thing. You're helping a kid plan their course through life. I know there is at least ONE of my coworkers who hates the apps so much that she doesn't do anything with them but check off the parts and send them through....RUSHES them, which kind of bugs me. But she doesn't seem to like the other parts either. She doesn't seem to like ANY of it... I always wonder why she's there.

Anyway I always try to look at them closely, read the essays, look at the kid's grades and talk to the kid and ask them questions about it. Sometimes some red flags come up. It's all an opportunity to HELP them and for that I am grateful to be there.

ANd like you said, it sounds a little harsh in a way, but you're absolutely right: I probably WOULD go bonkers just doing shrink stuff. That might be a little too intense and high pressure. In a way the kind of counseling my job routinely calls for is better... it's low key... the doors open subtly... I like that better than sitting there with a tattooed 14 year old going "So TELL me about your mother..." You know? Shit, let me tell you about MY mother, lmaaao.

I just think of all the "talks" I'd have with girls on the softball team when they'd "just drop by to say Hi, Mrs. Pressley" and how even though those weren't formal appointments, I sometimes got the feeling that just popping in "to say HI" for 15 minutes or so during a study hall was just what they needed in their day. And it always cheered me up too. You know, if there's one thing I've learned in this business, lmaaao, it's that you don't always solve problems by talking about problems. Sometimes you just solve them by laughing or being with friends, or with an adult you like and trust... sometimes you solve them by going out and running a mile or taking BP. You know?

Anyway, since today is the day that I would have had to have given my two weeks notice if I was indeed to take the job, I called yesterday and said "Thanks for the offer, but..."

It's just... I HATE THOSE EFFIN PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAYS, CHRISTY!!!!!!!!! ANYTHING to get out of those. I swear I would've taken a new job just to get out of those.

BRB again

Back. Brian made peanut butter toast and wanted to know if I wanted some, and that precipatated this whole discussion about peanut butter and bread. You know one thing I love about Brian? I mean, he is Mr. Organic Off THe Grid All Natural, all that bullshit, but he also is open, adaptable, flexible, and willing to make concessions. Typified for instance by PEANUT BUTTER TOAST. I'm with him: I like the grainy, all natural breads... I like the IDEA of all-natural peanut butter, really I do. But as he just said, dammit, plain white Grandpa Strohmann bread with smooth Jif is the ONLY WAY to have PB toast. They haven't improved on that. "You can eat the birdseed bread and the spackling paste peanut butter and TELL yourself it's better, and maybe it's better FOR you... but it's not THIS."

And I agree. And so we are in love, lmaaao.

So now Becca's up and SHE wants PB toast.

So I'm going to hit send. Hope you have a nice day, Christy, full of little moments like the one you described to me. Hang in there sweetie... you know this phase doesn't last long, and what comes next (the POTTY TRAINED, GOING OFF TO HER ROOM AND DOING THINGS ON HER OWN phase) makes it all worthwhile.

Tell Marty hi and give Maggie Kay a kiss and a hug from all of us... xoxoxoxoxo me!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home