E-pistolary

This site is a continuation of my online novel-in-email, xo bri xoxo me xoxoxo love you christy. Call it a soap opera in email.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Re: howdy dr p

From: "brianpressley14@aol.com" (brianpressley14@aol.com)
To: raesancheztralala@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: howdy dr p


Hey my one and only!!! It must be late October because I'm writing you back, haha.

Sorry we weren't home but late July-early August is our time up at Margo's parents' cottage. It is the perfect setting, the perfect place for decompressing... for swimming in fresh water and boating and stargazing and midnight swims and sitting on the porch watching the sunset and drinking Canadian beer (my favorite: Unibroue, I think it's called... let's do a google and see... yeah, that's it... try and find some Blanche de Chambly, which I cannot pronounce, and which of course Wifey just lets me butcher and LAUGHS at me instead of saying "No, sweetie, it's blahsnh-deh-shahm-blee," which is what the Unibroue website says, and why IT can help me with my French and my wife CAN'T, the world will never know, except to add that Margo's MOM does the same thing to her DAD, her meaning MARGO and not Margo's MOM, or in other words Mrs. LeDoux does the same thing to Mr. LeDoux, which is: just let him butcher the francais and then laugh at him.

But I digress.)

Anyway, now that I'm on facebook, I don't find it any more useful than the pages I have at the college, which is to say I don't find any advantage to it over email, and I CERTAINLY don't find it "addictive," don't see what people find addictive about it... it IS kind of cool to see little blurbs about what everyone's up to... kind of.

But I like my contact to be a little more substantive than that.

Which leads me to your visit when we weren't home... I'm sorry we weren't here. If you need to talk, call my cell... now that I'm back in the states and not out of range (no roaming charges in Canada on my pay as you go phone; just no service!) I can talk. If I don't pick up, leave a message and let me know when's a good time to call you back. You know me; I don't always pick up, but I always call back.

I can see why you are staying on at the beach through the fall. I did the same thing after my senior year... did I tell you that? Except my beach was Ocean City NJ. Sounds like a good gig. Can't wait to hear more.

Now....you're not thrilled with your options... what are those options at the moment? Maine, right? Southern Maine? To be near Chad. (Admit it.) (Have you heard from Stu Sutton lately?)

Where else? Temple... runs in my mind you told me Temple. I know Ray McClure there... he'd talk to you.

Where else??

I guess the biggy though is: which direction do you want to take this, Rae, is what I'm wondering? Jazz studies? Music ed? Music therapy perhaps? What are you thinking of doing with it once you get out? AGGGGHHHH! I hate that question. But think about it and answer it honestly. I'm not trying to push you to give a practical answer ("I'm going to get my Doctorate and get a cushy university job and get tenure and stay there with benefits forever and ever and ever")... I'm just trying to get you to visualize where you see yourself with it in five years, ten years, twenty years? What do you want to do with music?

When I started out, incidentally, my answer was I DON'T KNOW! I AM DOING THIS TO FIND OUT!!! Which drove my mom and dad nuts. But from the little I know you, I'm guessing that this isn't factoring into your decision, is it?

Listen: I know you probably have to work Labor Day weekend and all, but if you want to cruise to Gettysburg again and stay the night here with us, you're welcome to. If it's still kind of warm out, camping out with Becca in the clubhouse is fun (she said "Tell Rae there are no bats out there anymore!" I hate to tell her this, but I can't guarantee that...) and of course we have a guest room too. Then we could all talk this over. Talking to Margo might help too. I mean, she does get PAID for this sort of thing (albeit helping high school students... but she knows schools and also is good at picking peoples' brains and getting them to think things over in ways they didn't before.

Think about it, Sanchez.

In any case, I'm sending you positive vibes for CLARITY and again CALL CALL CALL and if you want, visit and we'll chew it over in person.

Hard to believe it is just 8:22 and I'm ready for bed, but... it's 8:22 and I'm ready for bed.

I think I know the place in Cape May of which you speak, where you can see the tide through the floorboards. Or am I thinking of a place in Ocean City (Bob's Grill? Or Taylor Pork Roll? Or Mack and Manco? I'm getting myself confused in my tiredness...).

Just occurred to me: are you sure you wanna stay there through the fall??? Or are you perchance delaying something?

THat's all out of me.
I'm gonna log off this here computer. Hope we can talk soon and I can help you work this through. Take it easy and keep in touch, here or there or on the phone or something... and I'm serious about the invite. Think it over.

Later Sanchez! :-) Brian, aka Dr P


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home